I see a huge amount of traffic coming to this post from tumbler and I couldn't resist letting people know that in the next post I have a giveaway of my new fabric collection and new book going on right now. I'd love you to enter!! Just leave a comment in the next post for a chance to win. Thanks for stopping by!!
OK, here's the original skirt tutorial post:
Here's the tutorial I mentioned in the last post. This is another great and simple way to make a classic pleated skirt, this time a wrap. It's really just like making a very wide pleated apron. These are great for kids because the wrap detail means it will fit for a while. This tutorial shows how to make it to any size. Here goes:
tape measure or long string and ruler
use 1/4 inch seam allowances
fabric amounts depend on measurements of the wearer
1. Figure the skirt width. Measure the wearers waist using a tape measure or long string and a ruler. Multiply that number by 2.66, round to the nearest half inch, and then add 8 (for a 6 inch overlap and 2 inch seam allowance). Add 8" to the waist measurement and then multiply by 2.66.
example: waist = 28" 28 x 2.66 = 74.48 74.5 + 8 = 82.5
28 + 8 = 36 36 x 2.66 = 95.76
2. Figure the length of the waistband/ties by adding 21 inches to the final skirt width by 2.5" wide. If you need to, It's fine to piece two fabrics together along the short side to achieve the correct length though I wouldn't piece more then two fabrics because you'll get too many noticeable seams.
3. Figure the skirt length. Measure from waist to where you want the skirt to fall. Add 1.25" for hem and seam allowance.
4. Cut your fabric according to these measurements.
5. Make the pleats. First hem the short edges of the skirt. Fold the raw edges to the wrong side by 1/2", press, repeat and topstitch. Along the top raw edge of your fabric use a pencil to make marks 1.5" apart. Use an iron to press pleats in alternating directions at every 1.5" mark and pin in place.
6. Attach the skirt band/tie. With right sides facing place the band/tie, off center so that it will be about 8" longer on one side then the other, on top of the top (pleated) edge of the skirt aligning raw edges. Pin and sew the band/tie to the skirt. Press the raw edge of the band/tie to the wrong side by 1/4" down the entire length. Press the raw edges of the short sides of the ties to the wrong side by 1/2". Fold the band over so that the 1/4" pressed fold covers the raw edges of the seam on the wrong side of the skirt and pin. You are essentially using the band as you would seam binding. Starting in the middle of the skirt, topstitch very close to the folded edge of the the band on the wrong side of the skirt to the end of one tie. Repeat. Press the raw edge of the bottom of the skirt to the wrong side by 1/2". Repeat. Pin and sew to hem. Press the entire skirt to emphasize pleats and get a crisp edge on the top edge of the band.